Vitamin C has been one of the top ten most Googled skincare ingredients of the year so far and this is why you should incorporate it into your skincare regime now. 'Vitamin C is one of the best skincare actives in the world,' says dermo-pharmacist Dr Colette Haydon, referring to the super antioxidant skincare ingredient that is commonly hailed as one of the few ingredients that can really change how skin looks. There are different forms; the purest and most effective (according to research) is Ascorbic Acid but it’s also the least stable – which means that it oxidises when exposed to light and air which can cause more damage to skin (the process of oxidisation creates skin-damaging free radicals). 'There are a number of vitamin C derivatives, too,' says Dr Haydon, 'Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate and Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate are two more stable ones but they are less effective than Ascorbic Acid.'
What Are The Best Vitamin C Products?
As mentioned earlier, vitamin C products can be unstable so it’s important to use products that are (ideally) in air-tight packaging or those that are designed to be used only once, like capsules. Also, look out for powder formulations like Clinique's Fresh Pressed Daily Booster with Pure Vitamin C, £69, as powdered vitamin C is thought to retain more of its benefits than liquid forms.
The Best vitamin C Products At A Glance:
The Best Vitamin C cream: REN Clean Skincare Glow Daily Vitamin C Gel Cream
The Best Vitamin C face wash: facetheory Vitamin C Cleanser
The Best Vitamin C eye cream: Q + A Vitamin C Eye Cream
Shop: Our Picks Of The Best Vitamin C Skincare Products
La Roche-Posay is heavily rated in the beauty game and this serum is just testament to this. Its
- Warming glow
- Works well under makeup
- Nice texture
- Fragranced which some reviews don't like
- Applicator can be messy
This formula is powered with Caudalie's signature Viniferine, which boasts an efficacy rate that’s
- 97% ingredients of natural origin.
- Suitable for all skin types.
- Viniferine, which boasts an efficacy rate that’s 62 times greater than ordinary Vitamin C.
- Free from oil, parabens, phthalates and mineral oils. Non photo-sensitising.
- Some reviews do not like the fragrance.
- Can be greasy.
If you love a lightweight, refreshing, gel-based daily cream – this has your name on it. Camu camu
- Leaves skin feeling smoother and noticeably softer
- Made with 96% natural origin ingredients, including Camu camu berry extract.
- Certified by The Vegan Society
- Dermatologically tested
- If you have drier skin it needs to be layered.
Murad skincare is loved by beauty buffs. This one-of-a-kind vita-C serum is a two in one it
- Glycolic acid
- Gold-stabilised Vitamin C
- Phyto-Luminescent Extract
- Price point.
The Ordinary is a good place to start if you don't want to splurge on skincare.This product uses
- Ascorbic Acid
- Sodium Hyaluronate
- Some complain about the 'after feel' and texture.
Mix 2 drops of Clinique Fresh Pressed™ Daily Booster with Pure Vitamin C with a loved moisturiser
- Contains: 4 x 10ml Boosters
- Need to be used fast
Our beauty journalist Renee said: 'I just love this cleanser its super creamy and removes
- Nice texture
- Suited to most skin types, including sensitive skin.
- Free of Parabens, Silicones, PEGs, SLS, SLES, and mineral oils.
- Vegan and cruelty-free.
111K Skin is celebs favourite and a few of their products can often be seen scattered across their
- Peptidic Microalgae Complex
- Glucoside Complex
- Some say it isn't that effective when removing makeup.
This lightweight and revitalising eye cream is formulated with a potent combination of ingredients
- Amino Acids
- Best to use without makeup
Our beauty journalist Renee said: 'If require and instant hit, I'll make a play for this
- Cruelty-free and suitable for vegans.
Our beauty journalist said: 'I’ve been using the Q+A Vitamin C Eye Cream for a few weeks now,
- Travel size
- A little goes a long way, can be greasy.
Discover the latest advancement in anti-aging with thus daily antioxidant cream. This powerful
- Triple antioxidant protection
- Amazing package to help maintain quality.
- Produced in small, precision batches and shipped quickly for optimal freshness.
- 15% potency is verified through clinical assays.
- Optimal ascorbic acid strength is assured from the first application to the very last.
How Do You Use Vitamin C?
'I recommend applying each morning,' says Dr Haydon; this way, you benefit from the daily antioxidant protection while also complementing the use of a retinol at night (they’re known as a bit of a dream duo). Use it as regularly as you can for best results.
How Long Does Vitamin C Last For?
'Once a product is opened, you usually have around six months to use it,' says Dr Haydon, 'and if it turns a very orangey brown, bin it.'
Is Vitamin C Good For Skin?
If there’s one ingredient that’s going to get you that elusive glow, it’s vitamin C: 'If you regularly apply it, it boosts collagen, regulates melanin production and scavenges free-radicals, making skin brighter and more evenly toned,' says Dr Haydon. The more collagen you have, the more plump your skin will be (and the fewer fine lines you’ll see) and likewise when melanin production is regulated, you’ll be less likely to succumb to hyperpigmentation and dark spots will be faded, too.
Add to that the fact it’s a highly potent antioxidant, which means it defends skin against external aggressors like pollution and helps speed up cell turnover (to help skin function healthier), and you’ve got a pretty impressive ingredient.
What Are The Benefits Of Vitamin C?
All skins can benefit from it, particularly if your skin is tired, radiance is dulled and it’s looking a little lacklustre.