Ad is loading...

There Will Be A #MeToo March On The Cannes Red Carpet This Year

© Shutterstock

Including president of the Cannes jury, Cate Blanchett...

Following the Golden Globes and Bafta protests last year, celebrities attending Cannes Film Festival are expected to follow suit in another show against widespread sexual harassment and gender inequality towards women.

Whereas the Golden Globes focused on highlighting how women across all industries are subject to unequal treatment and sexual misconduct, the Cannes march is specifically dedicated to women in film.

Taking place this Saturday, details of the march are yet to be known, will it be a dress code or will they do something different? One thing we do know is that as president of the Cannes jury, Cate Blanchett is expected to be at the march. According to WWD, she will be joined by around 100 other actors and film directors.

Since arriving at Cannes on Monday, the actor has been open about her disdain for the misrepresentation of gender within the industry, highlighting the lack of female directors nominated for the Palme d’Or award (only three of 21 films nominated were directed by women).

‘Would I like to see more women in competition? Absolutely,' she told the BBC, 'do I expect and hope that it's going to happen in the future? I hope so.'

Showing a clear effort to support the MeToo and Time’s Up movements, Cannes director Thierry Fremaux told press, 'it will be a march dedicated to the women of cinema. Not only Cannes but the whole world changed last September.'

The festival has also partnered up with the French Ministry of Gender Equality, setting up hotlines for victims of sexual, physical and emotional assault.

However, we will have to wait until Saturday to see the full protest, including who is involved.

Click through to see all of Cannes most iconic looks...