We Will Definitely Not Be Sleeping With Our Phone Under The Pillow After Seeing This

Or on/anywhere near it, for that matter


by Fiona Byrne |
Published on

If you’re one of the many people without a nightstand, you probably sleep with your phone on the bed next to your pillow. Or even, like this girl, under your pillow. Well, it’s a good time to stop.

Texan teenager Ariel Tolfree recently awoke to a smell of burning, but didn't connect it with her Samsung Galaxy phone, which was smouldering under her pillow. She fell back asleep, only to find her phone had completely melted and burned through her pillow and sheets. It basically looked liked it had been in a fire. How it didn’t turn her whole room into a furnace is beyond us. Ariel says the phone had slipped under the pillow as she slept, which probably happens to loads of people.

It turns out the original battery in the phone had been replaced with a battery that was not an original part, something the phone manufacturer strongly advises against. We somehow doubt even Samsung imagined a battery would cause the phone go up in smoke like that. They’re replacing the bedding and giving Ariel a new phone.

In any case, for those who sleep with their phones next to them, now might be a good time to invest in a nightstand. Burns to the face are not a good look.

Picture: Fox

This article originally appeared on The Debrief.

Just so you know, whilst we may receive a commission or other compensation from the links on this website, we never allow this to influence product selections - read why you should trust us