Gucci's creative director Frida Giannini has fast-forward her finale at the Kering owned fashion house, leaving the building on Friday - over a month earlier than contracted.
Speculations around the identity of Giannini’s predecessor have been circulating, and may have something to do with her early exit, according to WWD. Sources at Gucci told the industry stalwart that Giannini’s contract was prematurely cut in order to speed-up the decision making process of her successor: “The decision needs to be made, so that it can have an impact on the upcoming collections and shows,” said one source.
Which leads us to our next question: who will be taking the bow at the upcoming shows? Giannini has already directed and finalised the men’s show to be hold on January 19th? This will be followed by RTW women’s collection at Milan on February 25th that she’ll already have completed. Her original departure date of end of February was so scheduled in order to incorporate a big bang departure that would see her celebrate her long tenure at the brand, as well as a farewell party – all of which have been cut short since her departure on Friday.
Giannini was joined in her departure by her fiancé and Gucci’s CEO Patrizio di Marco, who already left last month and has since been succeeded by the previous head of Kering’s luxury couture and leather goods division. But who will take the brilliant Freda’s place? Our eyes are peeled for an announcement, coming sooner than we’d imagined…