20 Thoughts I've Had From NYFW
By Laura Jordan Posted on 11 Sep 2018
As New York Fashion Week comes to a close we reflect on everything we learned during the spring summer 2019 shows. And, honestly (no click-bait here), it wasn’t what we were expecting.
1 of 5
1. The souped-up gladiator sandal is back. See: Sophie Delafontaine’s debut Longchamp catwalk collection. Very ’70s via early noughties Kate Moss who happened to be sitting front row. 2. How the hell do I dress for this weather? 3. Ok, so is what New York high society looks like. Ralph Lauren was like an episode of Gossip Girl. 4. OMGICANNOTBREATHETHERE’SOPRAH… And Robert De Niro… And Tony Bennett… And Hillary Clinton… And Pierce Brosnan… And Martha Stewart… And Jessica Chastain… And Kanye… And Priyanka with her Jonas brother…
2 of 5
5. Could I ever get away with wearing a see-through dress? 6. Because of Ralph Lauren and Tory Burch the haute blanket cardi is happening. 7. Officially peak bumbag: someone wearing one as a top. 8. Thank you Tory Burch for sorting my fantasy holiday wardrobe.
3 of 5
9. Prada is having a major moment with the streetstyle set. Flame prints and ’90s-style nylon everywhere. 10. Why doesn’t every show feel as good as Brandon Maxwell’s? Models smiled and twirled at his homage to haute Texan glamour. 11. In another style universe, the extreme thigh high is also happening: part-boot, part-dungaree. Thank you Jeremy Scott. 12. My phone is dying. Again. (This thought on repeat).
4 of 5
13. Yay! Tie dye is still a thing. 14. FYI Eckhaus Latta a toddler orchestra is very sweet, if not exactly soothing. 15. Next festival beauty fad: hologram lips a la Jeremy Scott. 16. Love, love, love the lace up canvas booties at Tory Burch, worn with fancy dresses. High/low dressing at its best.
5 of 5
17. It’s def time to bring back headscarves and oversized shades. Thank you Kate Spade! 18. Get. Me. A. Matcha. Immediately. 19. There is nothing funnier than watching fashion people waiting to get into a show (via a freight elevator) in an industrial building in East Williamsburg where people are welding on the ground floor. And there is no bigger testament to this being a show people really, really want to see. CC: Eckhaus Latta 20. An easy styling update (courtesy of Tory Burch and Self-Portrait) I expect to see everywhere next season: layering a fancy dress over a cotton button down shirt.
Keep up to date with all the Fashion & Beauty news, click here to subscribe to Grazia on Great Magazines and have the latest issue delivered to your door every month.