Bye Bye Balenciaga! Alexander Wang Confirmed To Be Leaving Role As Creative Director

Alexander Wang Rumoured To Be Leaving Balenciaga

GettyImages-468067091

by Grazia |

Balenciaga has now confirmed that Alexander Wang will be leaving as creative director. After rumours reached a peak this week, it has been revealed that after three years, the decision has been made for the designer and french fashion house to part ways by mutual consent.

In a statement published by WWD, Balenciaga said:

"Balenciaga and Alexander Wang today announce their joint decision not to renew their contract beyond its initial term".

"Since 2012, Alexander Wang has stood at the creative helm of the maison and has been instrumental in the pursuit of its development. With his proven talent and his irreverent, modern vision of design, Alexander Wang has brought a new impetus to the brand. Balenciaga and Kering would like to thank Alexander Wang for his accomplishments and wish him the very best with his eponymous brand as well as all his future endeavours."

Wang also spoke about the decision:

"It's been an incredible experience to work with a couture house in Paris," he said. "I am honoured to have had the opportunity to work for this historical maison. I would like to thank the brilliant team at Balenciaga for their collaboration and for what we have accomplished together, and I am looking forward to taking my own brand to its next level of growth."

The decision has perplexed many due to positive sales growth at Balenciaga during Wang's reign, but it has been hinted that the designer wants to focus on his own label. His last collection will be shown during the spring/summer 2016 show on October 2. A replacement will be announced 'in due course'.

Earlier, we wrote...

There have been whispers about it for a while. Earlier this month, a spokesperson for the French luxury goods holding company Kering said 'discussions' were on-going between Balenciaga (which Kering owns) and its Creative Director, Alexander Wang, about the renewal of his contract.

And then today, WWD is reporting that Alexander Wang is leaving the historic house.

According to the reports the 31-year-old designer – who was named in The Times 100 Most Influential People of 2015 – will show his Balenciaga SS16 Collection in Paris this September, and it will be his last for the brand. WWD write that Balenciaga are already beginning the search for his successor.

According to the Guardian, when asked about the rumours, Kering’s chief financial officer told reporters that “there are ongoing discussions and I won’t comment further”.

Wang's predecessor Nicholas Ghesquiere was creative director at Balenciaga for 15 years and Wang joined the house in 2012 when Ghesquiere left for Louis Vuitton.

Rumours behind his depature are currently centring on his eponymous label, Alexander Wang. In addition to Balenciaga, Wang continued to design for his own major label, and it would seem likely that one or other would have suffered as a result.

Just so you know, whilst we may receive a commission or other compensation from the links on this website, we never allow this to influence product selections - read why you should trust us