It’s half way through November which means we are officially allowed to fully embrace anything and everything Christmas related. Cheesy festive songs on repeat in the office, mince pies after every meal, and mulled wine by the bucketload. It also means it is now totally acceptable to give your home its yuletide makeover.
Whether you plan to go the whole hog with a tree, tinsel and more, or are taking a more minimalist approach with a sprinkling of lights and a few tastefully placed holly branches, candles make a great addition to any festive home.
From forest pine to spiced gingerbread, these are our favourites.
Jo Malone Pine & Eucalyptus, £45buy
Neom Christmas Wish, £30buy
Skandinavisk Skog Forest, £29buy
Cowshed Winter, £38
Bella Freud Starry Starry Nights, £48buy
The Bird Box Christmas Schnizzle, £30buy
Jo Loves Plum Pudding, £55buy
& Other Stories Juste Mythique, £19buy
Byredo Alter, £54buy
Diptyque Unicorn, £48buy
Wondering how to make the most of your purchase? Roja Dove, perfumer and fragrance specialist, has shared with us his genius candle hacks.
- When lighting for the first time, always allow your candle to burn for two hours. This will allow the wax to pool evenly for the duration of its burn time and avoid that annoying thing where it burns down in the centre but not the edges.
- Never blow your candle out. This causes that awful smog scent which can often trump the work of the candle. Instead, use the lid of the candle to snuff out the flame.
- Be sure to give the wick a trim (about half a centimetre) before relighting. This ensures the candle burns cleanly and will stop black soot getting stuck on the rim.
- Place the candle on a coaster or its lid to avoid damaging wooden surfaces.
- Light candles one hour prior to the arrival of guests for that maximum punch of fragrance. Extinguish the flame and even hide the candle just before they arrive so the home appears naturally, beautifully fragranced.
- Don’t be afraid to light more than one candle at once. By burning candles in unison you can create your own bespoke scent. Just remember to select scents that complement each other with shared styles or some similar notes.